In the wake of Jordan De Goey’s Bali scandal, only one prominent female AFL powerbroker has spoken out about the ‘disgraceful’ punishment he faced from Collingwood for trying to expose a woman’s breast in a scandalous video.
Former Western Bulldogs vice president, and AFLW pioneer, Susan Alberti was the only influential female involved in the game willing to comment, and she said she’s ‘had enough’ of the lack of respect towards women.
De Goey made headlines last week when videos emerged of the Magpies forward making vulgar, sexual gestures and attempting to pull friend Remy Jackson’s top off as she batted him away while partying in Bali during a mid-season break.
He was fined $25,000 by Collingwood, with the amount fully suspended until the end of the season, and faced no additional sanctions from the AFL.
Jordan De Goey (right) pictured partying with friend Remy Jackson in Bali last week
Former Western Bulldogs president Susan Alberti has slammed Collingwood’s response to the Jordan De Goey scandal
Alberti called the suspended fine ‘disgraceful’ and said both Collingwood and the AFL simply have to come down tougher on players when it comes to disrespectful behaviour towards women.
‘It’s like a good behaviour bond. Where if you’re a good boy, you won’t have to pay for it,’ she told the Herald Sun, who had contacted 11 other female AFL powerbrokers – all of whom refused to comment.
‘But how many more times is he going to continue to do this? Enough is enough.’
In since-deleted videos, De Goey attempts to take Jackson’s (pictured) top off
Eagle-eyed fans will recall De Goey using that exact phrase when he complained about the attention he copped from the media in a statement that reportedly blindsided the club just after the incident.
‘I want to openly address the relentless pursuit and persecution of athletes by the media … it’s time for change. #enoughisenough,’ he posted on Instagram.
‘Enough is Enough’ is a catch cry used by many charities and governmental organisations to denounce violence against women, and the fact Alberti also used the words highlights how much De Goey has missed a trick.
Susan Alberti (centre) at a women’s footy event in May
Prominent anti-violence campaigner and former VFA footy star Phil Cleary said ‘male entitlement at the expense of women has reared its ugly head’ and much more needed to be done by both Collingwood and the AFL.
‘There is a problem at the club and in the AFL in that they don’t have the right people talking about the question of women’s rights and what respect actually looks like,’ he said.
Cleary knows all about what violent and disrespectful behaviour by a man towards a woman can mean – his sister Vicki was murdered by her boyfriend in 1987.
Jordan De Goey (centre) is taking some time away from the club following the Bali incident
De Goey apologised in an official club statement on Tuesday, and revealed he was ‘trying to become more aware of why I make the mistakes that I do’ after being diagnosed with ADHD.
The club also announced he would be taking some personal leave, and will miss this weekend’s clash against GWS.
Alberti said the lack of a club-imposed suspension or actual fine meant Collingwood missed an opportunity to assert De Goey’s behavour ‘is not on at our club’.
‘They could be leaders, they could be really showing the way,’ she said.
‘They could say … this is not the culture at our club, we are going to show the rest of the world or the rest of the AFL, this is something that is just not on and it won’t be allowed.’
Susan Alberti has a long history of involvement at AFL level, and is highly-respected
De Goey wasn’t the only Collingwood player to find himself in hot water in regards to treatment of women.
Jack Ginnivan and Isaac Quaynor forced to apologise this week after a TikTok video emerged of them rating women in a viral game.
The since-deleted video shows the pair lying in bed together, both shirtless, laughing as they rated various women and their physical features.
Isaac Quaynor (left) and Jack Ginnivan (right) also found themselves in trouble this week
It comes as a report revealed the AFL no longer conducts face-to-face training on responsibility and respect with players.
Instead, training is completed via online modules, and has six components: gender inequality, consent, violence against women, how to make a complaint, appropriate use of social media and a case study on inappropriate conduct in public and on social media.
Whether online training would have the same engagement and level of education is a tough thing to measure, but former NRL gender issues adviser Catharine Lumby believes the key is continuing education.
‘These aren’t just ordinary young men and, therefore, I think it’s incumbent on the sports they play for to give them really good evidence-based education that works so that they’ve got an opportunity to really consider the consequences of their behaviour on others,’ she said in The Age’s report.
AFLW player Kate McCarthy believes online training hasn’t been effective for AFL players
All Australian AFLW player Kate McCarthy backed up those assertions, saying ‘engagement can be limited’ with online training – and offered to speak about her experiences in the industry.
‘I think the training itself is good and the concepts are fantastic but perhaps it needs to be something slightly more thorough considering some of the recent issues,’ she said.
‘I would certainly be happy to share my experiences to the men’s players to demonstrate some differences we experience.’