Sports

Jordan De Goey escapes ban as Collingwood hand down punishment after Bali incident

Collingwood has handed AFL bad boy Jordan De Goey a $25,000 fine – suspended until the end of the season – stemming from the weekend’s incident in Bali.

On Tuesday the Magpies, whose player culture has been called into question in recent days over two separate issues where women have been publicly demeaned, ‘condemned’ De Goey’s behaviour during their mid-season bye.

The contrite 26-year-old was finally accountable for his behaviour – before stating being diagnosed with ADHD last year often results in regretful life mistakes. 

Video first emerged last Friday showing party boy De Goey making sexual gestures at a popular Bali club, while an unseen figure attempted to pull a woman’s top off.

With Collingwood not in action last weekend, club officials granted De Goey permission a mid-season holiday – a decision they may now regret. 

‘Our club’s very strong position is that disrespect towards women, in any form, is never acceptable and we strongly condemn it,’ Magpies CEO Mark Anderson said in a statement on Tuesday.

‘Jordan’s actions shown in the vision shared on social media are actions we do not accept as a football club, and we are extremely disappointed to see him put himself in this position.

Collingwood has handed AFL bad boy Jordan De Goey a $25,000 fine - suspended until the end of the season - stemming from the weekend's incident in Bali

Collingwood has handed AFL bad boy Jordan De Goey a $25,000 fine – suspended until the end of the season – stemming from the weekend’s incident in Bali

De Goey was granted permission to fly to Bali for a mid-season holiday (pictured)

De Goey was granted permission to fly to Bali for a mid-season holiday (pictured)

AFL star Jordan De Goey was partying with Ruby Jackson (pictured) at a bar in Bali last Friday

AFL star Jordan De Goey was partying with Ruby Jackson (pictured) at a bar in Bali last Friday

‘We have spoken to Jordan at length, and he understands the seriousness of the situation.’

The club also confirmed De Goey will continue to undertake his counselling program and will be ‘further educated’ over his latest incident.

‘While we do not condone his conduct, we will continue to provide the professional and personal support that Jordan requires to ensure that he consistently lives and demonstrates the values that we expect at Collingwood,’ Anderson added.

‘Finally, I would like to reiterate that our Club has very strong values, which include respect, tolerance, and a condemnation of irresponsible behaviour. We expect everyone at our club to uphold these values without compromise.’

De Goey expressed remorse for his conduct and took responsibility for what unfolded in a statement.

He even labelled his own actions ‘disrespectful.’

‘I unreservedly apologise to the Collingwood Football Club, its Members, supporters and the wider community for my conduct in Bali and I accept full responsibility for my actions,’ De Goey said.

‘The actions shown in the video footage are disrespectful and I accept that I have betrayed the trust the Club showed in me by allowing me to take my mid-season break overseas.

‘I fully accept that as an AFL player, I have a unique leadership role in the community and with that role comes responsibility.

‘My actions have fallen short of the standards expected of me as a person, as an AFL footballer and as a representative of the Collingwood Football Club.

‘I had worked hard this year to establish trust and confidence in me to make better decisions and through no one’s fault but my own, I have undone that trust.

‘Late last year, I was diagnosed with ADHD and I am trying to become more aware of why I make mistakes that I do. I have again made a mistake – this is an ongoing journey for me – and I remain absolutely committed to changing.

The contrite 26-year-old finally was accountable for his behaviour - before stating being diagnosed with ADHD last year often results in regretful life mistakes

The contrite 26-year-old finally was accountable for his behaviour – before stating being diagnosed with ADHD last year often results in regretful life mistakes

‘I will be seeking further support to take the appropriate and necessary steps to learn and improve as a person.

‘Again, I apologise for my disrespectful conduct. I understand that I have let many people down and that I have much work to do to again rebuild trust.

‘I am committed to making myself the best person I can be and I believe that the best chance I have to do that is in an environment where I have the support of my teammates and the Club.’

De Goey’s suspension comes as Magpies young guns Jack Ginnivan and Isaac Quaynor have also attracted unwanted headlines, with their TikTok video where the pair ‘rated’ various women widely condemned.

The pair have escaped sanction for their rating game video, with the pair apologising on social media on Tuesday afternoon.

The club said in a statement both players will undertake further education on the appropriate use of social media with respect to content they create and then post.

‘Hey guys, just wanted to jump on here to apologise for the TikTok video,’ Quaynor said.

‘We did a trend that we did not think about before posting and we’re really sorry for making the mistake of participating in it and then posting it.

‘We’ve since realised it’s not acceptable and it doesn’t align with the values both of us hold.

‘We’ll keep learning about what we should and shouldn’t post as there’s a lot to learn from.’

Ginnivan added: ‘We’re sorry to everyone at the club across all platforms, our members, supporters, of any impact we’ve caused.

‘Thanks guys and we’re so sorry again.’

The Magpies will look to break into the AFL top eight with a win against GWS this Sunday at the MCG.


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button