Sports

Everton SACK Rafa Benitez after Toffees’ embarrassing defeat by Norwich City

Rafa Benitez’s Everton misery is over as he is SACKED with brutal 40-word statement in the wake of dismal defeat at Norwich… and at just 200 days, he’s the second shortest-serving Toffees boss EVER

  • Everton have sacked boss Rafa Benitez amid their dismal run of performances  
  • The former Liverpool manager has been a controversial figure in the dugout 
  • He has overseen a terrible run of results, losing nine of their last 13 games
  • Everton’s 2-1 defeat at Norwich City proved the final nail in Benitez’s coffin
  • Wayne Rooney is leading the odds to takeover at Goodison Park this season 











Everton have sacked Rafa Benitez after the Toffees’ embarrassing 2-1 defeat at Norwich City proved the final nail in the coffin for the Liverpool legend. 

In an ice-cold 40-word statement, Everton confirmed the news on Sunday afternoon.

‘Everton Football Club can confirm the departure of Rafael Benitez as First Team manager,’ a statement read.

‘Benitez, who joined Everton in June 2021, has left the Club with immediate effect.

‘An update on a permanent replacement will be made in due course.’ 

Norwich – who had previously failed to score in six league matches – consigned Benitez’s side to a ninth defeat in 13 matches on Saturday, leading to a furious reaction from the travelling masses.

One fan invaded the pitch in a failed attempt to get to the Spaniard, while two banners were unfurled in the away end. One read: ‘Get out of our club’, while the other said: ‘Sack the board’.

Under-fire Rafa Benitez has been sacked after Everton called an emergency board meeting

Under-fire Rafa Benitez has been sacked after Everton called an emergency board meeting

The Toffees were consigned to their ninth defeat in 13 league games at Norwich on Saturday

The Toffees were consigned to their ninth defeat in 13 league games at Norwich on Saturday 

Everton’s hierarchy held an emergency meeting following their dismal display at Carrow Road, and on Sunday morning, the Merseyside outfit confirmed that they have parted ways with the 61-year-old. 

Benitez was appointed last summer as the club’s replacement for Carlo Ancelotti, who left the Toffees for a return to Real Madrid. The Spaniard’s appointment was divisive from the outset, given his history with arch-rivals Liverpool – where he won the Champions League in 2005.  

In 2007, Benitez labelled Everton a ‘small club’ following a Merseyside Derby and local police investigated a threatening banner which read: ‘We know where you live, don’t sign’ before his appointment last summer. 

Supporters hold up a 'Benitez - Get out of our club' banner during their 2-1 loss at Norwich

Supporters hold up a ‘Benitez – Get out of our club’ banner during their 2-1 loss at Norwich

A fuming Everton fan had to be removed from the pitch as they fell two goals down at Norwich

A fuming Everton fan had to be removed from the pitch as they fell two goals down at Norwich

Everton chief  Farhad Moshiri has appointed big-name managers but may go in a new direction

Everton chief  Farhad Moshiri has appointed big-name managers but may go in a new direction

Last month, Benitez insisted that he needed more time to turn the tide at Goodison Park, and pointed to ‘years of frustration; before his arrival in a bid to get supporters on side. 

After yesterday’s defeat, Benitez said: ‘I am a professional and I have enough experience.’ 

‘I came here to fix issues that were coming from the last five years. What I have to do now is analyse the mistakes we are making and make sure we avoid that for the future. The rest is not in my hands. I just try to do my job.’  

On the supporter who charged towards him, Benitez said: ‘I didn’t see the fan. I was concentrating on the game. After I saw someone was in the middle of the pitch but that’s it. 

Former Toffees star Wayne Rooney is the bookmakers' favourite to take the post at Everton

Former Toffees star Wayne Rooney is the bookmakers’ favourite to take the post at Everton

‘We are really disappointed because we lost. We are disappointed because the fans have been travelling to support the team and it’s not the ideal situation.

‘But we cannot change this situation now. We have to learn because we cannot make these mistakes in the future.’

Having tried, and failed, with big-name managers such as Benitez, Ancelotti and Ronald Koeman, it remains to be seen which direction the Everton hierarchy go next.

Former England captain Wayne Rooney is currently the bookmakers’ favourite to takeover, having worked wonders at Derby County, while Benitez’s assistant Duncan Ferguson is also among the leading contenders.  


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button